Sunday, April 02, 2006

Quick update, tantalizing promise of more yet to come

posted by Joe Ardent @ 3:49 AM

Using the internet in any active way, such as posting to this blog, has been surprisingly difficult for me, due to the hours I work, the firewall at Weta, and the utter lack of IP connectivity at home. Even as I type this, I'm at a hole-in-the-wall internet cafe in Wellington, where I am able to plug my laptop into an ethernet jack and seemingly use it for no charge. Sometimes, being in a fringe-group has its advantages. Pardon the techno-babble.

My personal vision for our blog was one of illuminating our experience so that the uniquely New Zealand parts of it stand out. I've been compiling a mental list of topics on which to expound, such as the confusing road rules (I promise I can make that post funny and interesting), or bits of kiwi culture and vernacular. Or how every electrical outlet is switched at least once, on the outlet itself. This last bit led to a situation the last time I was here, where I wanted to turn on a lamp, but in order to do so, THREE switches connected in series had to be in the proper state (meaning that there were eight possible switch configurations, only one of which led to a light turning on). All this and more is coming, plus videos and photos!

I'll try to post this coming week. I'll take some time to draft something offline, then post it online when I can. Soon enough, we'll have Internet access at home. Until then, have fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home