Monday, August 27, 2007

My Blood Pressure is 120/84

posted by Kris Ardent @ 9:27 PM

This means I get to eat more salt, right? Don't you get some kind of bonus for having such stellar blood pressure? Maybe a gold star.

I signed up for a Kilbirnie Pool membership, because the classes are $8 each, and the monthly membership is only $67.50. Plus you get spas, sauna, all water and fitness classes at both Kilbirnie and Freyberg, AND 5 sessions with a personal trainer. I really only wanted cheap swim classes (deep water aerobics, underwater kickboxing), but when they throw in all that extra stuff it's hard to resist having your biceps measured and all your other stats taken.

Despite my efforts to avoid any actual time in the gym part of the facility (obviously some magical mind control process was involved), I ended up with a weight training plan. I went through the plan for the first time yesterday, a day in which I could almost not get out of bed because my abs were so sore from scuba this weekend.

Joe and I are now certified PADI Open Water Divers! I won't go into the details, suffice to say it was one of the more difficult things I've ever done. If I'd known how hard it was, I never would have done it. But I'm glad we did, and I'm looking forward to trying it out in WARM water, with more than 1 meter visibility. Seems if you learn to dive in the winter in New Zealand (like all geniuses do), you're ready to dive anywhere in the world.

So, here's the poll:

Where should we vacation in March?

Possible contenders:

Thailand
Cook Islands
Vanuatu
Great Barrier Reef
Egypt
Bali

3 Comments:

At 8/30/2007 11:43 AM, Blogger NKP said...

Thailand
Jeff is DYING to go there. It's supposed to be super cheap, take credit cards, and the food is teh awesome. Downside is the mad phat humidity. But the diving is supposed to be great--Jeff thinks we should go there and learn as it's cheaper and more exciting. To me more exciting means they let you drown or have your ears blown out without worry.

Cook Islands
? Are there big statue things there?

Vanuatu
?
Great Barrier Reef
REEFS -- how awesome to dive there while they last and close by, right?

Egypt
Just met a dude who went there on the plane back to SF and a woman in Canada who went there. It sounds exotic and exciting and a place where you want to have local friends take care of you.

Bali
Vic just came back from there a few months back and HATED IT! Vic has been just about everywhere and she said the humidity, bad food, and constant physical contact style nagging of children and local street stall folks was TOO MUCH. She loved Indonesia though. LOVED it. or maybe it was Malaysia? Anyway, HATE on Bali.

And congrats on all your water centric activities. That all sounds so great. I'm a little afraid of diving (but I'm a little afraid of most things I've discovered including flushing the toilet at night), but someday I will be brave.

 
At 9/01/2007 6:59 AM, Blogger Jayhawk said...

How about 104/60 with a heartrate of 68? That comes from being so incredibly athletic, I have no doubt, and staying in such superb pysical condition, and never using any salt at all under any conditions whatever.

Wife actually asked the cardiologist if I should use less salt and wanted to choke him when he said he saw no reason for me to cut back. Yuck, yuck.

Anyway, Cook Islands. See Master and Commander first.

 
At 9/02/2007 9:15 PM, Blogger drspam said...

nikhila, vic is totally wrong about bali! everybody i met there was just so so nice, and the food is fucking fantastic. bakso soup in ubud, beachside seafood in jimbarron, strawberry crepes in bedougal, it's all great.

maybe she was staying in denpasar or kuta, where the locals are more aggressive, and it's more tourist-oriented. but the rest of the country is beautiful, the people are friendly and happy, there's a lot of art and culture, and the food is amazing.

no hate for bali!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home