Tuesday, April 11, 2006

An even quicker update

posted by Joe Ardent @ 3:59 PM

OK, so, it's been like a week since my last post, the one where I said I'd update soon. In the meantime, we've gotten DSL at home, obliterating the excuse of, "I can't update from home." I'll post tonight, I swear! There's not even yoga class, so I've got nothing to do but post to the blog and play X-Box! I'll be taking some pictures of some of the civic art around Wellington this afternoon at lunch. There's a lot of it; Wellington is a "festival city". graphiti on an apartment building A lot of it is really cool. A lot of it is maybe not paid for by the city government, but rather by the businesses that host it. Some of it is renegade ("graphiti", though there is very little tagging). But all of it emphasises that Wellington is, as a civic citizen, really into art. The music scene here is also killer.

2 Comments:

At 4/22/2006 11:06 PM, Blogger Jeff (composer) said...

What kind of music are you checking out? I didn't get much of a chance to check out music while I was there. Though, I did grab a few things.

Lucid 3 is good folky pop. Nice female vocals.

Blindspott is that metal, pseudo rap (not really) mix.

A CD I picked up that had a reasonable cross section of indie bands was called Starf*Ckers.

Your blog only allows updates from blogger accounts, so I created one. :/

 
At 4/23/2006 2:22 PM, Blogger Joe Ardent said...

Hey, Jeff, good to hear from you. We've really only been to one live show, which was De La Soul the day after we got here. A couple really good local hip-hop bands opened for them, Olmecha Supreme (featuring Deva Mahal, one of the local super-stars), and some other one whose name escapes me. But there's a decent radio station in town, www.radioactive.fm, that plays a bunch of good local music, mostly from the dub/d&b side of the music gene pool. I need to pick up some CDs and upload them somewhere, but CDs are typically about $40NZD, which is almost $30USD. Bitches.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home