Sunday, April 30, 2006

It's Important to Reverse the English

posted by Kris Ardent @ 8:37 AM

Saturday night was the wrap party for Weta's work on X-Men 3. We took shuttles from downtown Wellington a couple miles to a bowling alley in Petone (always pronounced with thick Italian accent, as "p'tony!"). It was like Rock N Bowl in Goleta (some of you may be familiar with that phenomenon), or any number of "It's very cool to rock out and bowl on a Saturday night, young hip dudes and ladies"-type places across the land. Except there was better music, and free drinks, and cheeses and fruit trays at the lanes, and a buffet. And the bowling balls naturally spin the opposite direction, because of the Coriolis Effect.

And prize contests! For costumes! MUTANT costumes, because X-Men is about mutants! It was actually kinda cool. I'll see if I can find someone else's pictures to post, because I saw many being taken. There were a lot of action-neon-bowling shots. One guy was halfway down the lane trying to get the perfect shot of me and my patented "sometimes breaks 70" bowling technique. It's patented! Why even bother trying to capture my moves? You can't use them!

It takes a long time for 7 people to bowl 10 frames. I came in 2nd of our krew, at least 10 pins behind the craftiest bowling hustler I've ever had the pleasure of meeting (and you'd be surprised): Clodagh. That bitch. If she thinks she can get away with humiliating me in front of my esteemed peers, well, she's got another thing coming. Nobody beats me at a game at which I suck and lives long to tell the tale. Not even my NEW BUSINESS PARTNER.

Tomorrow, Clodagh joins the mighty force that is our burrito crew. We will begin shopping and prepping in an attempt to produce an astounding 80 BURRITOS for delivery to Weta on Tuesday. Pray for us, and anyone foolish enough to pay us $10 for the opportunity to be our guinea pig. Here are some glamour shots from last week's production:

Here's a lot of salsa. About a 40s worth.

Avocados are pretty and delicious.

I wonder if this looks appetizing to meat-eaters. I marinated the chicken overnight in lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic, s & p and a litte olive oil. In the morning, I tried out the "grill/fan" feature on our fancy foreign oven, laying the chicken out on one of the racks, with a broiler pan below it to catch the drippings. It ends up being a smokey procedure, but it only takes 8 to 10 minutes and the chicken ends up all grilled-looking and juicy inside. Oh, and don't forget to beat the chicken senseless with the side of a wine bottle before marinating. Worth it.

The assembly line.

Ready for the most complex procedure: rolling it all up. I can't show that here because, like my bowling moves, it's patented. Not really. It's just hard to take pictures of yourself while rolling burritos. This one is vegetarian.

1 Comments:

At 5/05/2006 12:06 AM, Blogger Kris Ardent said...

Maybe you could see it before Francisco leaves? I think you'll have 4 or 5 days between the opening and his departure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home