Thursday, June 15, 2006

South Island Journey Completed! A Triumphant Success!

posted by Kris Ardent @ 6:54 AM

We got back on Monday, but I've been clutching the bed and trying to get back into my hermitic routine since then. Tomorrow I'll go get the UNDERWATER PHOTOS OF DOLPHINS developed (disposable waterproof camera) and see if I can get them into a digital format.

Here's a short recap which I'll follow up with detailed accounts and pictures over the next couple days:

Tuesday: Made and sold 40 burritos, got on a plane to Christchurch, met up with Clodagh and drank a lot of wine.
Wednesday: Rode the hangover trolley around the charming town of Christchurch, took a tour of the charming Fudge Cottage, took a ride up the charming gondola to view charming Christchurch at sunset, got lost driving to charming Akaroa.
Thursday: Brunch by the sea in Akaroa, drove to Hanmer Springs, had bad Indian food made by non-Indian Asian people, watched bad Edward Norton movie with foreign strangers. Was so much fun despite all this badness!
Friday: Had bad massages and facials at the hot springs, but good dip in the mineral pools, followed by the best hot chocolate in all the land, drove to Kaikoura, had fancy restaurant dinner, tried to eat bad lobster/crayfish, but had to send it back.
Saturday: DOLPHINS. 500 OF THEM. LIKE RATS WITH FINS. COOLEST THING EVER. Raced the train on the way to Blenheim to watch Ireland vs. NZ rugby game...ZzzzZZzzzzz...wha? Um, what? Drove to Picton, watched Robocop with strangers (this time American and English).
Sunday: Private tour of Marlborough region wineries, capped off with short run around a small chocolate factory and then a 12 hour nap.
Monday: Choppy, southerly wind-fueled ferry trip back to Wellington, by way of Ice Age 2.

Hey Clodagh! Did I forget anything in the outline? You were right. I really should have been blogging from the road: but I'm so LAZY!

Now you know. Other things happening: Francisco arrived last Monday (just in time for me to abandon him). But you knew that. He'll be moving in after his stay at the lovely Duxton. Christopher gets back in 6 hours, and I hear he may have real cheddar cheese and Campbell's Tomato Soup with him. Allen returned yesterday from the U.S. WITH PRESENTS. Saturday, we have a party for them all.

And lastly, I've applied for a trainee position at Weta doing texture painting (whatever that is). I have no qualifications, aside from my affinity for mastering obscure computer applications, and my great enthusiasm for working in general. So we'll see if that's enough. If not, I'll go back to doing what I do best: reading the internet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home